Gmail is undoubtedly the most popular webmail service available today. It is used by millions of users all around the Globe. With the introduction of new functions and security features, the customer base of Gmail is increasing even more rapidly. The one thing that is most important to use an email ID is its password. As the number of Gmail users is quite big, a lot of them forget their password on a daily basis. That’s why Google has provided many convenient and secure methods to recover a lost Gmail password.
You should note that it is easier to recover Gmail password if you have recovery options such as alternate email id and Gmail password recovery number added to your account. In this post, we will take you through the steps to recover Gmail password with or without Password recovery options.
How to Change Gmail password?
It should be noted that changing the Gmail password is different from resetting or recovering Gmail password. You can change your Gmail password if you are able to login to your account. On the other hand, if you are unable to login to Gmail then you need to recover or reset Gmail password. Here is how you can change your Gmail password.
- First of all, you need to sign in to your Gmail account using your Gmail ID and current password.
- Click on “Settings” gear icon from the right-hand side corner.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Open “Accounts” tab.
- Scroll down and click on “Google Account Settings”.
- Click on “Signing in to Google” link under the “Sign-in & Security” tab.
- Open “Password” option.
- Enter the current Gmail password for security purpose.
- Provide the Gmail password you want to use for future logins.
- You will be logged out of Gmail automatically after changing the password.
- Finally, you can check the new password by signing in to Gmail again
It is recommended to change the Gmail password regularly to keep your account safe from online security threats like hacking.
How to reset Forgot Gmail password?
If you can’t remember your Gmail password then you can reset your password by following the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to visit the official website of Gmail i.e. www.gmail.com
- Enter your Gmail id for which you want to reset the password.
- Click on the “Forget password” link when prompted to enter the password.
- Type the last Gmail password you remember and click on “Next”.
- If you can’t remember any password then you should click on the “Try a different question” link.
- Keep clicking the “Try a different question” link until you get a question that you can answer. Answer the question and click on “Next”.
- Now, Google will ask you the method by which you want to receive the account verification code. You can receive the verification in the following ways.
- Through a text message on Gmail password recovery number.
- Through the secondary email address associated with your Gmail account.
- You can also verify your identity by clicking on the link available in the email that Google will send to your secondary email ID.
- Open the verification email in your secondary email ID or text message sent on your phone number.
- Copy the verification code received.
- Paste the received verification code at the prescribed field on the Gmail website and click on “Next”.
- You will be prompted to create a new password for Gmail as soon as you enter the verification code.
- Enter a new password in the “Create Password” link.
- Confirm the new password by entering it again in the “Confirm Password” field.
- Click on the “Change password” button from the bottom.
The Gmail password recovery is complete. Now, you can also change your recovery options such as Gmail password recovery number or secondary email if you want.
In case you don’t receive a verification code on your Gmail password recovery number then you should inform Google about your problem. After that, you have to wait for Google to address your grievance. Usually, it takes 3 to 5 business days for Google to replay back.
Reset Gmail password on Gmail App
If you are an Android or iOS user then you can also reset Gmail password on Gmail mobile App. In order to that, all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch Gmail App on your Android or iOS device.
- Tap on the “+ Add an email address” button.
- Tap on “Google”.
- Type your Gmail email address and tap on the “Next” button. Alternatively, you can also enter the phone number associated with your Gmail account.
- Tap on the “Forget password” link available below the password field.
- Enter the last Gmail password you remember and tap on “next”.
- If you can’t remember any password then you should tap on the “More options”.
- Tap “Try another way to sign in” until you come across a question that you can answer. Answer the question and tap on “Next”.
- Select the method by which you want to receive the verification code i.e. via Gmail password recovery number, alternate email id etc.
- Enter the security code received on the verification phone number or alternate email ID.
- Tap on “Next”.
- Enter the new password and confirm it.
- Then you need to agree to the term and conditions of using Gmail by tapping on the “I Agree” button.
You can now sign-in to Gmail using your new password.
How to recover Gmail password without a recovery phone number and Email ID?
In the methods which we have discussed so far in this article, we have assumed that you have Gmail password recovery number and secondary id added to your account. However, it is also possible that you may not have any recovery option added to your account. In such a situation, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the Gmail login page and click on “Sign-in”
- Provide your Gmail Email ID.
- Click on the “Forget Password” button available below the password field.
- Enter the last password you remember and click on the “next” button.
- As you don’t have a Gmail password reset number or email id added to your account, Google will ask you some security questions.
- Additionally, you also need to enter an email address through which Google can contact you for password recovery purpose.
- The security questions will be related to your Gmail account only like when you have created your Gmail account, your frequent location to use Gmail etc.
- Answer all the Gmail security questions to the best of your knowledge.
- Remember there are dozens of possible question that Google can ask you. You may try this method again and again unless you find the questions you can answer easily.
- Then, you have to wait for at least 3 to 5 days unless Google checks your answers and get back to you.
- Google will let you create a new Gmail password only if it is fully satisfied with your answers.
How to keep your account safe in the future?
To prevent Gmail login problems in the future you should follow the precautions given below:
- Change your Gmail password regularly.
- Your Gmail password should be strong. It is recommended that you should use at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one symbol and one numerical digit in your password.
- Unable Gmail two step verification so that it becomes impossible for a hacker to hack your account.
- Don’t forget to sign out of Gmail after using Gmail on a public computer.
- Never share your verification code with anyone under any circumstances. Call Gmail Support for Gmail Password Reset Number.